Elmwood Park Zoo is a teaching facility and we provide internship opportunities in Education, Marketing and Fundraising. We work with you to develop an internship program that satisfies credit requirements, where applicable, and also provide a valuable opportunity to gain practical experience and build solid skills that will aid you in your professional development. Internships are generally three months in duration, and interns must work at least eight (8) hours per week during the semester and 16 hours per week during the summer. Please be advised that this is an unpaid internship.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to the Volunteer Coordinator, Elmwood Park Zoo, 1661 Harding Blvd., Norristown PA or by e-mail to
. For more information call 610-277-3825 ext 236.
Education interns work with the education staff to develop and perform interactive educational programs for zoo visitors and groups.
- Attendance at a two-day orientation and training program
- Performing educational programs on and off zoo grounds for a variety of groups and age levels (scouts, preschool, families, and school groups)
- Presenting live animal shows.
- Assisting with the development of new educational programs and lesson plans.
- Aiding in research to maintain the creativity and quality of the education programming.
- Other duties as assigned.
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must have completed at least two semesters of college, with a major in Education, Environmental Science, Biology, Zoology, or other related are of study; strong public speaking skills and the ability to work independently. Interns must be able to provide proof of current Tetanus (within 10 years).
Marketing & Development Internships
Marketing and Development Interns work with the marketing and development team to gain hands-on experience in promotions, branding, corporate partnerships, community relations and fundraising.
- Writing and follow up of press releases
- Brochure and newsletter design and content
- Promotion and preparation of events
- Data entry and analysis
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must have completed at least two semesters of college, with a major in Marketing or Communications or related area of study; strong public speaking skills and the ability to work independently. Excellent writing and communication skills are a must.